daisylets_logo residential lettings & property management
About us Contact us Property list Testimonials Links

EPC's - Advice to landlords (Energy Performance Certificate's)

On Rent

When buildings are to be rented out, the landlord is responsible for ensuring a valid certificate is made available to all prospective tenants.

The EPC and recommendation report must be made available free of charge by a landlord to a prospective tenant at the earliest opportunity and no later than:

  • when any written information about the building is provided in response to a request for information received from the prospective tenant; or
  • when a viewing is conducted; or
  • if neither of those occur, before entering into a contract to sell or let.

    An Energy Performance Certificate does not have to be made available if:

  • the landlord believes that the prospective tenant is unlikely to have sufficient funds to purchase or rent the property or is not genuinely interested in renting that type of property; or
  • the landlord is unlikely to be prepared to rent out the property to the prospective or tenant (although this does not authorize unlawful discrimination)

    Homes will require an EPC on rent from 1 October 2008.

    An EPC for rented property is valid for ten years currently.

    The only person who is able to produce an Energy Performance Certificate is an accredited energy assessor.

Energy Performance Certificates

By October 2008 all buildings whenever sold, built or rented will need an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC).

The certificate provides energy efficiency A-G ratings and recommendations for improvement. The ratings - similar to those found on products such as fridges - are standard so the energy efficiency of one building can easily be compared with another building of a similar type.

Acting on an EPC is important to cut energy consumption, save money on bills and help to safeguard the environment.

EPCs were first introduced for the marketed sale of domestic homes, as part of the Home Information Pack. If you are buying or selling a home it is now law to have a certificate. By 1st October 2008 all buildings whenever built, sold or rented will require one.

What does an assessment for an EPC involve?

An accredited energy assessor needs to visit a property to conduct an energy assessment for an existing building. During the assessment they collect information on the property, which includes details of its dimensions, construction and heating/hot water provision.

The time taken to perform an energy assessment will vary according to the size and nature of the property, on average between 30-50mins for normal size properties.

This information is fed into the approved software programme which produces the EPC and recommendation report. The energy assessor will then record the certificate onto a national register via his or her accreditation scheme and provide the seller, or prospective landlord with a copy. The certificate is then ready to be given to new building owners or made available to prospective buyers or tenants.

What are the benefits to me as a landlord?

The energy rating can help rent out your property. They indicate to a prospective buyer or tenant how energy efficient your home is. It should also provide information that may help to reduce the running cost of the property.

What happens if my home gets a low rating?

This simply indicates your home could be more energy efficient. During the inspection a number of recommendations to improve the energy efficiency will be identified. Implementation of these could not only increase your rating and reduce carbon emissions but also save money on energy bills. It is up to you whether you implement the recommendations or not.

Source: http://www.communities.gov.uk

View PDF - A Landlord's Guide to EPC's

Daisy Furnishings


Follow us on

Twitter Facebook Linked InRSS Feed


Find our properties on



Utility Warehouse


© 2012 Daisylets®TM

Rocca Property Services Ltd
incorporated in England & Wales

Trading as Daisylets Maidstone


email us